Ready or not, voting year is here! If only politics could be as clear as 2020 vision. Let’s start with an important first step: register to vote.
Politics is overwhelming. With access to so much information, we have the ability to be well informed and burdened at the same time. Learning how to understand politics for ourselves is very important to me. It’s why I’ve started this series, On Fridays We Fight! I‘d like you to understand how to make your own political decisions. Let’s start with an important step in this process: register to vote.
Who can register to vote
Although, there are slightly different age requirements among our states, (you can find your state’s requirements by clicking here), in general, these are the requirements:
- Are a U.S citizen
- Are a resident of the state and/or county you currently reside
- Will be 18 years old by Election Day
When to register to vote
According to USA.gov, every state, except North Dakota, requires voter registration prior to Election Day. How far in advance of election day will vary from state to state. For example, in California, we must be registered to vote by Tuesday, February 18, 2020 in order to vote in the California Primary on Tuesday, March 3, 2020.
How to register to vote
There are two ways you can register to vote:
- Online. Go to Vote.Gov to search for your state. Then you’ll follow the process to register online.
- By mail. Access the Voter Registration form. Complete it and then mail it in. Did you know it’s available in 15 languages?
Are you registered to vote? Do you plan to vote by mail? Do you prefer to go to the voting polls?
I have always enjoyed going to the polls to vote. This year, I’ll be out of town during the California Primaries. I’ll have to register to vote by mail. Since it’ll be my first time, I want to make sure I understand the process. It’s perfect timing to find out that our San Joaquin County Registrar of Voters will hold two workshops on voter registration and the vote-by-mail process.
Voter Registration & Vote-By-Mail Workshops at the San Joaquin County Registrar of Voters
- Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 3pm-5pm San Joaquin Admin. Bldg. 44 N. San Joaquin St. 3rd Floor Ste. 381, Stockton, CA
- Monday, February 3, 2020 at 4:30pm-6pm Agricultural Center 2101 E. Earhart Ave., Stockton, CA
You must log in to post a comment.